file 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air "Bottom's Up" Restoration

More
25 Apr 2015 18:37 #834 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Re:1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
We also obtained a new trunk floor from Classic Industries.



The inside of the passenger side quarter panel was prepped and sprayed with epoxy to prevent further corrosion. It was test fitted before welding.






Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2015 18:38 #835 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Re:1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
The new rear trunk floor assembly was test fitted to the car. The chassis was media blasted, and we set the body on the frame to make sure the trunk floor was in the proper position before welding it in place.









When fit was confirmed, it was all burned into place.





Love all that new, clean steel!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2015 11:47 #842 by Qball
Qball replied the topic: Re:1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
Looking great. That's a pretty liberal use of the phrase "freshen up" you used to kick this thing off!

-Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2015 11:58 #843 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Re:1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

Qball wrote: Looking great. That's a pretty liberal use of the phrase "freshen up" you used to kick this thing off!


Yeah, well this one was pretty stale!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2015 15:45 #953 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Re:1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
All of the chassis components were disassembled and media blasted to remove rust and corrosion.



This is pretty heavy gauge stuff, so we used to traditional sand media to blast these.





The blasting process revealed some corrosion and rusty body mounts on the frame.







Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2015 15:46 #954 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Re:1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
The crew took some time to repair these, and replace the rear crossmember. It looked like the existing crossmember was added to the car at some point, and appeared to be made out of scrap, so we replaced it with a stronger tubular unit.







After the repairs were made to the chassis, all of the components were hung in the paint booth for a coating of black epoxy primer.









After priming, they were top coated with an industrial satin black enamel for a long-lasting and correct appearing finished.





Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.607 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum