file Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars

23 Jan 2016 18:40 #2193 by oestek
oestek created the topic: Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars
There are lots of scale models of cars that I think would make awesome full-size cars. Check out this Trans Am built by Charles Sweigert, who posted it in a model car group on Facebook. This is a car we would LOVE to build at the V8 Speed & Resto Shop!

We love the IMSA style wide-body kit, and the way it works with the stock Trans AM SE stripes. It would make a great road-racing animal for the street!

What do you think? What engine would you choose?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jan 2016 22:38 #2194 by Qball
Qball replied the topic: Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars
As soon as I win that Powerball, pal, you're gonna be damn busy with the likes of me.

-Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jan 2016 11:48 #2197 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars
This is another one that I really liked as a kid and think would make an awesome full-sized ride. It's a '53 Chevy panel gasser. The original model issue was from decades ago, and I really dug the red-white-blue paint scheme and stars on the nose. I think I've posted this pic on the forum before at some point, I don't remember.

It has since been re-issued by Revell as the Drill Sergeant:

I'm not thrilled with the new scheme, but you can still build it as the old stars & stripes version as this fellow did:

Can you imagine shakin' the earth with this supercharged 409-powered beast in real life? Too cool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jan 2016 22:37 - 24 Jan 2016 22:39 #2208 by Strickland
Strickland replied the topic: Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars
I always liked the GM cars of that period. Lots of fun to be had in them.

It says 53 on the box but the grille and taillights are 54. Externally those were the most obvious differences between 53 and 54. And the only reason I know is that I drove a 53 2dr sedan as my first car. And it was only 9 years old when I got it. One and a half years later it was worn out. That's what happens when you let a 16 year old (at least me when I was a 16 year old) drive a car mostly unsupervised.
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2016 22:39 by Strickland. Reason: Added comment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jan 2016 23:04 #2209 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars
Ha, sounds like you had fun with the '53! I think we've all worn out cars prematurely at that age... I know I am guilty!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jan 2016 23:07 #2210 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Scale Models That Should Be Real Cars
Here's one that did come to life as a real car, although they took a few liberties with the driveline. I'm not going to complain about the Hemi, however!

The old Monogram kit:

The real Bad Man, shown at SEMA 2013:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds