file 1968 el Camino Malibu

17 Jan 2017 16:46 #3183 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: 1968 el Camino Malibu

fbk289 wrote: Well I got the chassis back this morning and I'm happy to say it's come up pretty nice. I also swung by via my mechanic and he was really impressed with the condition that it is in too! We only have one concern and that is with the rear cross member, it is a little corroded and will either need to be patched up or preferably replaced if possible.

Kevin do you know if anyone makes or distributes a replacement part for this section of the chassis?

Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben,

The chassis looks great! Many times El Caminos are twisted up in back from pulling trailers. We normally just re-create that part of the frame in the metal shop, I am not aware of a pre-made section.

Kevin Oeste
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: goo.gl/RIkdDS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2017 16:53 #3184 by fbk289
fbk289 replied the topic: 1968 el Camino Malibu
Ah ok, thanks, it looks like a fairly straight forward piece of sheet metal.

Yeah the mechanic said it looked really straight and was kind of surprised actually!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Apr 2017 04:45 #3717 by fbk289
fbk289 replied the topic: 1968 el Camino Malibu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Apr 2017 21:27 #3726 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: 1968 el Camino Malibu

fbk289 wrote: An update for you kind folk, I've been working hard on the el Camino, the chassis has been repaired and painted (I had to learn how to weld and spray paint hence the delay) and now I'm working on the body....the interior has been cleaned up and painted, POR15 no less and now it's time for the firewall.....momentum is everything!

Looking great! The welding looks really good too, not like a beginner! Nice work!

Kevin Oeste
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: goo.gl/RIkdDS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2017 03:24 #3727 by fbk289
fbk289 replied the topic: 1968 el Camino Malibu
Thanks again for the feedback Kevin!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2018 00:33 - 30 Mar 2018 00:36 #4075 by fbk289
fbk289 replied the topic: 1968 el Camino Malibu
Hey guys,

A quick update on my el Camino for you...

The front and rear ends are starting to come together, obviously the chassis is done and under the car again! I'm really happy with how it's coming along now. Lots to do still so will keep you informed. Keep those muscle_car_of_the_week videos coming in Kevin, they are great inspiration for me ;)

Ben

Last Edit: 30 Mar 2018 00:36 by fbk289.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds