Finally found a engine hoist to borrow and took the time over the Thanksgiving weekend to beat out the transmission tunnel were needed.
Step 1: Use 2 engine hoists and raise the body way up in the air and place 5 cinder blocks on both sides of the front. Then pass a 4x4 though the top of each block:
Step 2: Lower the front hoist to place the front of the body onto the 4x4:
Step 3: Disconnect front hoist and move out of the way then roll chassis under body:
Step 4: Reconfigure hoist and lift off front of body off the 4x4 and remove same. Then begin lowering body onto chassis. This is where wheel dollies are worth the money as you can adjust the chassis as the body tends to move while lowering it:
Step 5: Thank your helpers. In this case my 2 sons-Thanks again Michael and Nick!
So back to the reason for this exercise. I found that in addition to the rear cooling line clearance issue that I knew I was going to have I found the following as well:
The front cooling line, the rear speed sensor, and the tail housing had clearance issues:
Here are the results after an afternoon of hammering, lowering the body, raising the body, hammering, lowering the body to check work, raising the body and on and on and on:
Some of these pics are not very good but it was kinda hard getting a good pic in focus while under the car.
Front cooling line
Rear cooling line
Rear speed sensor
I also expected that I would have a clearance issue with the steering shaft and one of the header tubes and as expected I do:
So now I need to buy a gas tank, wheels and tires, drive shaft, engine and transmission computers and harnesses, gauges, radiator and fan, A/C system, transmission shifter, steering column and wheel. Figure out all the installation and mock up. Then dissassemble and begin body work.
It's only more time and more money at this point and finding enough of both!