We're going to break in the new cam on the 1965 Chevelle using the chassis as an engine test stand!

 

We've been waiting for the opportunity to break-in our new Comp Cam and Holley / Weiand upper engine parts we installed on our 1965 Chevelle's 350, and that day finally arrived. To make it go smoothly, we filled the oilpan with Royal Purple Break-In Oil to ensure that the Comp flat-tapped camshaft would break in properly and safely. We then installed the engine and driveline onto the Chevelle's chassis and wired it up so we could use the chassis as a test stand to break in the engine. Here's the video of what happened!

 

Check out how nice the Estoril Blue lights up on our 1965 Chevelle's door jambs! Can't wait to clear the whole car!

 

Our '65 Turns Estoril Blue! Here, painter Nathan Newberry just shot the body and has masked off the jambs for clear

 

Nathan has the pleasure of drilling the quarter panels on the 1965 Chevelle for the new OPGI badges.

 

Nick is making progress on the gauge and vent panel.

 

Cleanly adding a triple gauge set and Vintage Air vents to our 1965 Chevelle.

 

Our '65 Chevelle has been block sanded to perfection, and tonight it got a bath in Hot Hues Hot Prime. The underhood surface was sprayed with DuPont's Hot Rod Black for a durable satin she

 

After the body filler work was completed, we sprayed the body of our 1965 Chevelle with a high-build polyester filler from Standox. The sprayable polyester will fill all the minor sanding scratches and any pinholes in the body filler below. The polyester will also allow body technician John to refine the car's final shape, making the panels glass-straight and the body lines crisp.

 

After all the panels were aligned and all the dents pulled, our 1965 Chvelle moved into the body filler stage. Our body technition John started the process by grinding the steel panels to achieve a mechanical bond as well as a chemical bond, then began mixing and applying the Marson Mar-Glass fiberglass filler to the structural areas and seams, followed by a coat of Marson Platinum Plus filler over the rest of the car. Although the filler was applied over large areas, John sanded most of it off in a process that refined the shape of the car, straightening minor waves and surface imperfections. The filler was followed up by a new 3M glaze applied by a new 3M Dynamic Mixing System applicator gun. The glaze filles remaining surface scratches and pinholes, and the gun applicator does all the mixing for you, ensuring quick, accuratly mixed glaze (and filler) with no pinholes and reduced waste. The entire car then went through a block sanding process. The next step: Standox Sprayable Polyster.

 

The metalwork is completed on our 1965 Chevelle, and now the car is entering the bodywork phase. The hood displays a unique pattern... like a large weight pushed the hood skin into the inner structure of the hood, which will have to be straightened. In this video, Kelle takes us through some of the items that have been fixed, like the door gaps and panel replacements, before the car enters the dent fix / body filler phase of the project.

 

 

Our 1965 Chevelle had a series of shallow dents all over the hood that seemed to follow the contours of the underhood structure. It looked as if someone dumped 500 pounds of sand on the hood, "forming" it to the inner structure. We didn't just want to fill the recesses with body filler, so John pulled out a cool dent pulling tool which uses a spot-welding tip on one end, and a lever action puller to quickly pull the steel back into shape. Check out this demo video to see how it 

 

Quarter panels are one of the most rust and dent-prone parts of musclecars, and our 1965 Chevelle had some of each. Mostly dents. Thankfully, OPGI came out with new reproduction full quarter panels for 1965 Chevelles. In this video, we show you how to remove your old panel and install the new.  This series also applies to other GM A Bodies like Skylarks, Cutlasses, GTOs and others.

1965 Chevelle

 

 

Finished car:

1965 Chevelle

 

 

 
 
 

 

Our '65 Chevelle drove in on a low-performance 350 cubic inch Chevy replacement engine that was reported to have less than 10,000 miles on it. Initially, we contemplated doing a late-model EFI swap on this car, but then we thought we'd take a look at what we had and see what kind of shape it was in. Turns out that the 350 is a parts-store type replacement engine with 4-bolt mains and a very clean bottom end. The cast iron heads and cam were not very exciting, so we used the Dynomation engine simulation software to whip up a new recipe. In this installment, we clean up the engine, repaint the short block, and install a new Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cam, lifters, timing set, new Holley performance aluminum cylinder heads, a Weiand Action Plus intake manifold, an MSD Pro-Billet distributor, some Flowtech headers, and a Holley 670 Street Avenger camshaft. Some of the parts we already had like the MSD unit, the intake, and the carb, but the cam and heads are new. Here's how it went.