file 1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!

More
28 Nov 2015 22:18 - 28 Dec 2015 11:45 #1864 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: 1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!
Check out the vacuum motors for the heater box before and after.

The valve covers cleaned up a little, but this was only about 10 minutes of contact time with the CLR.

The coolant bottle came around as well. This had many rust stains in the crevices, and looks much whiter. Longer time soaking in the CLR would make this thing look new, and we all know what a pain these are to renew. We're confident that we could remove the cap and soak it in CLR and it would be snow-white.

Overall, we're happy with what we've learned. We did not expect this stuff to completely restore our engine bay, but we wanted to test it out. With minimal effort, certain parts really look better, especially the plastic bottles.

More info:

www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

Kevin Oeste
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: goo.gl/RIkdDS
Last Edit: 28 Dec 2015 11:45 by oestek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2015 22:25 #1865 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: 1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!
I had a few minutes to take the car out for a spin a few days after we returned from SEMA 2015. Gas was down to $1.80 / gallon, so I figured that was a good excuse to take a little ride and top it off. On the way back home, I stopped and snapped a few pics while it was nice outside.

Kevin Oeste

More
28 Dec 2015 09:01 - 06 Jan 2016 20:50 #2044 by Qball
Qball replied the topic: Re:1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!
What a cool trip you've taken us on. I really enjoyed reading it. That Riv sure looks to be in nice shape. A real time capsule. It's great that you've been able to find it and are able to do what you want to it without being in a time crunch or storage delimma.

I identified with some parts of your story with my first GTO. I took on too much with too little resources. But I had to have it.

Now, today, I have my current one (thanks, pop) and am afforded all the time in the world (and I seem to be taking it) to do what I need to it.

Looking forward to future updates and seeing where this ride takes you.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

-Mike
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2016 20:50 by Qball.

More
30 Dec 2015 16:42 #2052 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: Re:1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!
Thanks Mike, it has been quite a journey. I am not in a "rush" to get this thing going, but I do plan to work on it when I can. My lovely wife bought me some new wheel cylinders for Christmas, so that will be a fun little project. There will be much more posted here on the direction I take with the car. Time will tell!

Kevin Oeste

More
02 Jan 2016 20:21 - 02 Jan 2016 20:21 #2058 by oestek
Check this out... doing some maintenance on the Riv and found the original GM Delco "Pleasurizer" shocks still installed! Wild.

Kevin Oeste
Attachments:
Last Edit: 02 Jan 2016 20:21 by oestek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qball

More
13 Jan 2016 23:40 #2081 by oestek
I have not driven the car much, but the fading brakes and tell-tale moisture on the backside of the tires told me that this car needed wheel cylinders. The plan is to perform a disc conversion up front, and possibly to move the aluminum front drums to the rear (they are wider and lighter.) My lovely wife bought me a set of replacement wheel cylinders from Rock Auto.

I’m not a big fan of Chinese parts, but I looked at these as temporary items to allow me to drive the car a while before the disc conversion. I also plan to rebuild the original rear GM cylinders and reinstall them when I perform the brake swap. In the meantime, these should do nicely.

This isn’t really a tutorial on replacing the wheel cylinders, rather an overview of my experiences with a few tips along the way.

You’ll need a good supply of brake cleaner for this job, I used about a can per wheel, with the front cylinders using more. Don’t forget a new bottle of brake fluid.

Before starting the job, I like to double check the box part numbers with the order or website to make sure all the numbers are correct. I also check the part to the box to make sure the right part got sent, sometimes the wrong stuff ends up in the box. Do this a week or so you want to do the job to ensure enough time to swap or return anything that is not correct. I also wrote the position (right front, etc.) on the box to keep the parts in order, as the boxes all seemed to be a different size.

The new parts look good so far.

Kevin Oeste

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds