file 1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!

More
13 Jan 2016 23:41 #2082 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: 1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!
This was the driver rear side with the drum removed. This car is showing less than 26,000 miles on the odometer, and it appears all the brake hardware and shoes are original. The oily mess is indicative of a leaky wheel cylinder. Never blow off brake dust, it is all asbestos on old cars and is not good for you. Use brake cleaner to rinse it clean and don’t inhale!

Plenty of life on the trailing shoe…

And the leading shoe looks plenty usable as well.

Drum is nice, no grooves or unusual wear. I don’t believe these have been cut.

The car is still wearing most of its original exhaust, or what’s left of it, anyway…

Kevin Oeste
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: goo.gl/RIkdDS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2016 23:41 - 14 Jan 2016 09:53 #2083 by oestek
oestek replied the topic: 1970 Buick Riviera Thread... And Now For Something Completely Different!
I like to loosen the bleeder on the bench because it’s easier to do so than on the car blindly. Here was a snag from the Chinese part… this US made ⅜ wrench (and about 5 others) did not fit the bleeder. Hmm.

However, a Taiwanese ⅜ wrench fits fine. Hmm. It’s not a metric part. Oh well.

Loosen the brake line first, so that the wheel cylinder bolts keep everything from flopping around as you loosen. Then loosen the two cylinder bolts.

I like to slip the metal pushrods out from the shoes, and leave all the brake springs, shoes, and hardware in place on these jobs. It makes it faster and easier.

Kevin Oeste
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2016 09:53 by oestek.

More
13 Jan 2016 23:42 #2084 by oestek
Here, the cylinder has been slipped out of it’s hole.

The new part went in pretty smoothly. We’ll switch to the driver rear for more.

Check out the fluid on this drum.. could me more than a wheel cylinder.

You don’t see these drum retaining clips very often anymore.

Kinda messy, and it looks like an axle seal is also leaking.

Kevin Oeste

More
13 Jan 2016 23:42 - 13 Jan 2016 23:43 #2085 by oestek
After a spray-down with some brake cleaner…

New part slipped in place…

I’ll have to order up some axle seals next. This will be a job for another day.

Moving to the front, the mighty Buick aluminum brake drum!

Badly leaking front cylinder.

Kevin Oeste
Last Edit: 13 Jan 2016 23:43 by oestek.

More
13 Jan 2016 23:44 #2086 by oestek
The nice spray pattern inside the wheel well, another sign that brake fluid has been slinging out of the brake assembly and being thrown around in the wheel well.

I replaced each cylinder at a time and bled the brakes before moving to the next.

Passenger front drum.

Cotter key and hub / bearing nut

Wheel bearings, in good shape but could use a re-pack.

Again, the drums are in great shape.

Kevin Oeste

More
13 Jan 2016 23:44 #2087 by oestek
The seal should be replaced. Had I been thinking about it, I’d have ordered hoses and seals for these, but now I’ll have to get back into the brakes to replace them. Note to self.

Another badly leaking front cylinder, note the rubber seal coming off. Before and after brake cleaner spray shots.

This is shot. Note the rusty colored fluid… brake fluid retains moisture and rusts lines and parts from the inside out.

Wheel cylinder “snuck out” of it’s home. The spindle is preventing the bolts from coming all the way out, so I left ‘em hanging.

These pushrods are re-used, so I sanded them clean as not to abrade the new rubber seals. They were a little rusty.

New part installed.

Kevin Oeste

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds